#12 on the 2009 Musical Advent Calendar
Creaturesque by Throw Me The Statue
Looking for a band that acts like a chameleon, changing musical styles from one song to the next, and using that skill to create a master-thesis-of-indie-rock album? Throw Me The Statue is that band.
And the fact that they did have a “Modest Mouse” song and a “Built to Spill” song used to bother me. But, similar to how my initial impression of the White Stripes changed over time, I no longer hear anything but Throw Me The Statue when I listen to Creaturesque. That “been there, done that” feeling just went away after seeing the Seattle band perform live a few times.
The video above, for “Hi-Fi Goons,” is a good example of what you can expect from the band. They’re good fun, and they’re at #12 for a reason.
13. Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band by Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band
14. Horehound by The Dead Weather
15. Promenade by Grand Hallway
16. Grand by Matt & Kim
17. Blood Bank EP by Bon Iver
18. Fever Ray by Fever Ray
19. Tell ’Em What Your Name Is by Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears
20. Mo Beauty by Alec Ounsworth
21. Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants
22. Noble Beast by Andrew Bird
23. Hungry Bird by Clem Snide
24. Actor by St. Vincent
25. Elvis Perkins in Dearland by Elvis Perkins in Dearland
26. XX by the XX
27. Grrr… by Bishop Allen
28. Keep It Hid by Dan Auerbach
29. It’s Blitz! by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
30. Beware by Bonnie “Prince” Billie
31. Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear