#14 on the 2009 Musical Advent Calendar
Horehound by The Dead Weather
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Jack White is an asshole. The guy is too good. First there was the White Stripes, the band he formed with his ex-wife/sister (the jury is still out on how he and Meg White are related). Then there were the Raconteurs, which he founded in 2005. The latest Jack White project is called The Dead Weather.
The above video, for the song “Treat Me Like Your Mother” from the band’s debut album, is a mini-movie. And after you’ve listened to the song, you can see why Jack White is an asshole: once again he’s proven his prowess and created a band that is contemporary and timeless, invigorating and engaging. And I hate him for it.
Don’t you wish you had the talent he does? He makes it seem so effortless. It has become apparent to me that I will always be a Jack White fan, and will always purchase his new recordings. The man’s a genius, and the music he produces is quite phenomenal.
15. Promenade by Grand Hallway
16. Grand by Matt & Kim
17. Blood Bank EP by Bon Iver
18. Fever Ray by Fever Ray
19. Tell ’Em What Your Name Is by Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears
20. Mo Beauty by Alec Ounsworth
21. Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants
22. Noble Beast by Andrew Bird
23. Hungry Bird by Clem Snide
24. Actor by St. Vincent
25. Elvis Perkins in Dearland by Elvis Perkins in Dearland
26. XX by the XX
27. Grrr… by Bishop Allen
28. Keep It Hid by Dan Auerbach
29. It’s Blitz! by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
30. Beware by Bonnie “Prince” Billie
31. Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear