#16 on the 2010 Musical Bacon Calendar
Forgiveness Rock Record by Broken Social Scene
I’ve been listening to the members of Broken Social Scene for nearly a decade, but only as members of other bands. Feist, Land of Talk, Metric, and Stars all have or have had crossover players in both bands. Everyone who has played in Broken Social Scene over the last decade-plus has been in or is currently in another band or two. But for some reason, even though I liked some of the various side projects, BSS never caught on for me.
But then came along Forgiveness Rock Record. This album was quite a departure for the band, throwing out the strange arrangements and sparse vocals for something much more accessible. This album rocks from the very first guitar-struck note of “World Sick” through the final tune, “Me and My Hand.” Nearly every song has some great highs and deep lows, making for a roller coaster of listening pleasure.
This album deserves more recognition. I think most people have discounted it due to their prior bad experiences with Broken Social Scene records. Don’t let that fool you! Purchase this album and you will not regret it.
17. Expo 86 by Wolf Parade
18. One Life Stand by Hot Chip
19. Big Echo by The Morning Benders
20. Here’s To Taking It Easy by Phosphorescent
21. This is Happening by LCD Soundsystem
22. The Mistress by Yellow Ostrich
23. Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter
24. Been Listening by Johnny Flynn
25. The Wild Hunt by The Tallest Man on Earth
26. Lisbon by The Walkmen
27. Scratch My Back by Peter Gabriel
28. All Day by Girl Talk
29. A Storm – A Tree – My Mother’s Head by Bobby Bare Jr.
30. 03 to TEN by Knathan Ryan
31. In This Light On This Evening by Editors