#17 on the 2011 Musical Bacon Calendar
An Argument with Myself by Jens Lekman
There seem to be quite a slew of EPs that were released this year in lieu of proper full-length albums. Is this a trend? Or maybe a dry spell? Either way, if it means the artists I enjoy listening to are putting out more rather than less music overall, then I’m quite happy with it. And when its in the case of the artist that is here at #18, I’ll take anything I can get.
Jens Lekman hasn’t released an album of any sort in four years (the stellar Night Falls Over Kortedala was released in 2007). And while An Argument with Myself only has five songs, it’s solid through and through. Lekman’s song style is very similar to Belle & Sebastian — story-based narratives that typically paint a picture of sadness through black comedy. And the songs are sing-songy as a typical Belle song as well.
Jens is from Sweden, but rarely does his barritone voice reveal the truth. He has a great grasp of humor on stage, so much so that the last time I saw him perform, he actually had a stand up comedian open up for him. But the songs really do speak for themselves. With titles like “An Arugment With Myself” and “So This Guy At My Office,” they’re just begging you to hit play.
18. The Whole Love by Wilco
19. My Goodness by My Goodness
20. My Head is an Animal by Of Monsters and Men
21. Gloss Drop by Battles
22. Showroom of Compassion by CAKE
23. A New Kind of House EP by Typhoon
24. EP by Grouplove
25. Fan Chosen Covers (Best of) by Eef Barzelay
26. TKOL RMX 1234567 by Radiohead
27. Organ Music Not Virbraphone Like I’d Hoped by Moonface
28. Heavy Boots & Underwoods by Ben Fisher
29. The Rip Tide by Beirut
30. Collapse Into Now by R.E.M.
31. I Am Very Far by Okkervil River