#18 on the 2010 Musical Bacon Calendar
One Life Stand by Hot Chip
Now is the time on the Musical Bacon Calendar when we dance. Bring on the Hot Chip. After a handful of decent albums, the highlight of which is 2006’s The Warning, Hot Chip have created a dance pop album that will keep me grooving well into the next decade.
When I saw the band perform while promoting The Warning, my view of them became deflated due to the lackluster performance. Thankfully, Hot Chip have definitely stepped it up with this new album. Nearly every song has me bouncing in my seat. “Thieves in the Night,” “I Feel Better,” (the video shown above), and “Alley Cats” are quite fantastic, but it’s the album’s title track that really gets me going. It’s chorus, “I only want to be your one life stand,” with the repeated high-falsetto “keep on feeling” sounds a bit ridiculous when written out here, but give it a listen. Your foot will start tapping uncontrollably and then your head will bob along with it.
After watching the great video above (in which you can catch the Hot Chip members in the audience, watching the horrific boy band on stage get obliterated), be sure to check out “I Feel Bonnie,” the remake of the song, this time featuring Bonnie “Prince” Billy in the mix. You may need to wash your eyes after watching it, but it’s good fun.
I’m not going to write much more about this one here, I need to get up and dance around.
19. Big Echo by The Morning Benders
20. Here’s To Taking It Easy by Phosphorescent
21. This is Happening by LCD Soundsystem
22. The Mistress by Yellow Ostrich
23. Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter
24. Been Listening by Johnny Flynn
25. The Wild Hunt by The Tallest Man on Earth
26. Lisbon by The Walkmen
27. Scratch My Back by Peter Gabriel
28. All Day by Girl Talk
29. A Storm – A Tree – My Mother’s Head by Bobby Bare Jr.
30. 03 to TEN by Knathan Ryan
31. In This Light On This Evening by Editors