#19 on the 2009 Musical Advent Calendar
Tell ’Em What Your Name Is by Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears
I first heard Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears when they opened for, and were the horn section with, Spoon. And I was thoroughly blown away by this throwback to another era. Horns. Keys. Wailing. It’s all in there, and it’s damn near perfect.
There’s not much more I can say about these guys. It’s obvious who their influences are. And that space is pretty empty in today’s music, so I imagine they can continue to do this for a long time without changing too much.
We got to see them perform at the fantastic KEXP/Bumbershoot Music Lounge at this year’s Bumbershoot, and we brought our 16-month old along for the ride because they have a cry room in the back of the space (the stage is in a children’s theater). And Isaac ate it up, clapping along, laughing, a little bit taken aback by the reverberations of the bass notes, but he had a great time. And if that’s not a resounding recommendation, I don’t know what is.
20. Mo Beauty by Alec Ounsworth
21. Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants
22. Noble Beast by Andrew Bird
23. Hungry Bird by Clem Snide
24. Actor by St. Vincent
25. Elvis Perkins in Dearland by Elvis Perkins in Dearland
26. XX by the XX
27. Grrr… by Bishop Allen
28. Keep It Hid by Dan Auerbach
29. It’s Blitz! by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
30. Beware by Bonnie “Prince” Billie
31. Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear