Savage Hills Ballroom by Youth Lagoon
The band at #22 is difficult to categorize. Experimental, psychedelic, dreamy — these words come close, but don’t seem to fit quite right. Youth Lagoon, the stage name of Trevor Powers, is from Boise, Idaho, but given his sound, you’d be forgiven if you’d guessed Brooklyn.
Playing with a mix of electronic and analog sounds (trumpet, piano, and cello all feature throughout), it’s Powers’ high, sometimes cracking falsetto that sets this music apart from others that came before. There’s a little Arcade Fire, a little Destroyer, even some Kishi Bashi in there if you tilt your head just right.
Savage Hills Ballroom is Youth Lagoon’s third album. I haven’t heard his previous albums, but from what I’ve read, it doesn’t sound like I need to. It appears this album is a good departure from his previous work. If you do end up going into his back catalog, or if you have heard it and have an opinion about it, do share, won’t you?
23. Not Real by Stealing Sheep
24. Beat the Champ by The Mountain Goats
25. Gliss Riffer by Dan Deacon
26. Dark Bird is Home by The Tallest Man on Earth
27. Gunnera by Pfarmers
28. Swimmer to a Liquid Armchair by Ricked Wickey
29. To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
30. Live in Seattle by Moufang / Czamanski
31. High by Royal Headache