#21 on the 2012 Musical Bacon Calendar
Hospitality by Hospitality
Treacly. That’s the best way to describe Brooklyn trio Hospitality. Wikipedia calls it indie pop, which I suppose is as accurate a description as you can get. Amber Papini’s childlike “story-singing” — in the best Belle & Sebastian imitation she could muster — is infectious. Mix that with her guitar playing and Brian Betancourt on bass and Nathan Michel on drums, and you’ve got the makings of a fun time.
The above video, for their “hit” song “Friends of Friends,” is what really hooked me on these guys back in February 2012. The video stars Alia “Maeby Fünke” Shawkat, tying the band however loosely to Arrested Development, and thereby making it a near sure thing that I’d like them. The brain is a mysterious valley of connectedness.
There’s not much more I can write about this album, sadly. It’s just plain good. You will enjoy it. You cannot NOT enjoy it.
22. Free Dimensional by Diamond Rings
23. History Speaks by Deep Sea Diver
24. A Different Ship by Here We Go Magic
25. Negotiations by the Helio Sequence
26. Moms by Menomena
27. The Sound of the Life of the Mind by Ben Folds Five
28. Shields by Grizzly Bear
29. Every Child A Daughter, Every Moon A Sun by The Wooden Sky
30. Fragrant World by Yeasayer
31. Reign of Terror by Sleigh Bells