#7 on the 2010 Musical Bacon Calendar
Go by Jónsi
With Sigur Rós taking the year off, the band’s lead signer, Jónsi, is carrying the torch forward. Jónsi’s full name is Jón “Jónsi” Þór Birgisson, which I wrote out here just so I could use the “Þ” character for the first time. According to wikipedia, he is even more interesting than I would have first thought. The man is from Iceland, excessively shy, and sings with an angelic falsetto voice, but he is also blind in his right eye and a raw food vegan. That probably explains a lot.
Go, for all intents and purposes, is just another Sigur Rós album. The album starts exactly where 2008’s “Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust” left off, and continues in the bouncy, string- and grand-crescendo–based songs. (And that was also my first use of the character “ð.” Icelandic is fun for a type geek.) It’s absolutely gorgeous, and I listened to the album for a good portion of the year.
If you like Sigur Rós, chances are you’ve already picked up this album. If not, and the video above, for the song “Go Do,” strikes your fancy, then you’ll like this album as much as I do.
8. The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
9. Gorilla Manor by the Local Natives
10. The Head and the Heart by the Head and the Heart
11. Special Affections by Diamond Rings
12. Treats by Sleigh Bells
13. Write About Love by Belle & Sebastian
14. Wild Smile by Suckers
15. Learning by Perfume Genius
16. Forgiveness Rock Record by Broken Social Scene
17. Expo 86 by Wolf Parade
18. One Life Stand by Hot Chip
19. Big Echo by The Morning Benders
20. Here’s To Taking It Easy by Phosphorescent
21. This is Happening by LCD Soundsystem
22. The Mistress by Yellow Ostrich
23. Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter
24. Been Listening by Johnny Flynn
25. The Wild Hunt by The Tallest Man on Earth
26. Lisbon by The Walkmen
27. Scratch My Back by Peter Gabriel
28. All Day by Girl Talk
29. A Storm – A Tree – My Mother’s Head by Bobby Bare Jr.
30. 03 to TEN by Knathan Ryan
31. In This Light On This Evening by Editors