I Love You, Honeybear by Father John Misty
It took me a long time to claim I was a Father John Misty fan with a straight face. Don’t get me wrong, his music has always been great (his debut album was #14 on the 2012 Top 31). But he is clearly taking the piss of the entire indie rock music business with every move he makes. He makes me want to make excuses for everything I listen to.
Start with the name. Father John Misty is the stage name for Josh Tillman, formerly of the Fleet Foxes and many other projects, and it is clearly a put-on. Nobody picks that name and means it.
Secondly, his performance style is best described as “extreme crooner.” He prances around on stage, making love to his mic stand, throwing his head and his hips around, pointing at the audience — it’s all brilliantly funny, and makes his shows an absolute delight, but you can’t take it seriously.
Lastly, some of his lyrics are so ego-driven, so over-the-top, that it’s hard to get behind him. (Read my review of “The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apartment” from earlier this year for further explanation.)
But behind him I’ve now gotten, fully. He’s proven he’s not a flash in the pan, now with two phenomenal albums under his belt. Don’t let the song or video above sway you one way or the other. I suggest giving the album a full time through once or twice before passing judgment. It takes a little while to seep in, but once it does, you won’t want to let go.
7. Sound & Color by Alabama Shakes
8. Another Eternity by Purity Ring
9. Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance by Belle and Sebastian
10. Return to the Moon by El Vy
11. Hamilton (Original Broadway Cast Recording) by Lin-Manuel Miranda
12. Art Angels by Grimes
13. The Horse Comanche by Chadwick Stokes
14. Grace Love & the True Loves by Grace Love & the True Loves
15. Shake Shook Shaken by The dø
16. La Di Da Di by Battles
17. Sky City by Amason
18. What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World by The Decemberists
19. Untethered Moon by Built to Spill
20. Viet Cong by Viet Cong
21. The Magic Whip by Blur
22. Savage Hills Ballroom by Youth Lagoon
23. Not Real by Stealing Sheep
24. Beat the Champ by The Mountain Goats
25. Gliss Riffer by Dan Deacon
26. Dark Bird is Home by The Tallest Man on Earth
27. Gunnera by Pfarmers
28. Swimmer to a Liquid Armchair by Ricked Wickey
29. To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
30. Live in Seattle by Moufang / Czamanski
31. High by Royal Headache